DIEGO SAMUEL BERMUDEZ, Pink Bourbon
Another gem from the incredible Diego Bermudez and family. This pink bourbon lot is crazy fruit forward and sweet with notes of rhubarb, red cherries and watermelon jolly ranchers.
CULTIVAR: Pink Bourbon
PREPARATION: Washed, Extended Fermentation
LOCATION: Finca El Paraiso, El Tambo, Cauca, Colombia
ALTITUDE: 1,700 - 1,950 masl
Diego Samuel Bermudez has quickly become one of the most famous names in Colombian coffee and his lots are incredibly distinctive. For over a decade he and his family have been dedicated to experimenting and learning about high-end coffee production, developing some unique fermentation protocols which have earned them a reputation for being at the very forefront of coffee processing.
Diego was born in Bolivar, Cauca and works on their farm in the El Tambo municipality with his wife, two daughters and two brothers. Villa Esperanza - Paraiso sits between 1,700 and 1,950 masl and covers 27 hectares of land. The farms are planted with Castillo, Colombia, Caturra, Gesha and Pink Bourbon.
The family built their own lab on the farm to firstly understand about cupping and roasting so that they could properly assess the fermentation protocols which they began designing and experimenting with. Diego also achieved the CQI Level 2 Processing qualification which developed his understanding of how cup profiles could be affected by controlling the pH, temperature and the microorganisms present during fermentation. As well as meticulously controlled fermentation there is attention to detail in all of the critical processes during production, from selection through to drying, which are necessary to consistently produce lots of this calibre.
Diego has a strong focus on technology and with his business partner Wilton Renso Benitez, has founded Indestec who are at the vanguard of coffee processing equipment. The company has developed hi-tech drying appliances which aim to mitigate the changeable climatic conditions and recover evaporated water, allowing them to consistently replicate coffees of such high standards.
This Pink Bourbon has undergone a rigorously controlled process:
- Selection: harvesting of ripe coffee cherries (90%) and semi ripe coffee cherries (10%)
- Coffee cherries are washed with sterilised water to decrease microbial contamination
- First phase of fermentation: aerobic for 42 hours at an average temperature of 17°C (whole cherry, without water)
- Second phase of fermentation: anaerobic for 72 hours at 19°C (whole cherry, without water)
- Coffee is mechanically de-mucilaged
- Controlled drying for 26 hours, with air re-circulation at a temperature of 37°C and a relative humidity of 3%, until reaching a grain humidity between 10% and 11%
- The coffee is packed in Grain pro and it is stabilized for 15 days